Agenda and minutes

Venue: Beckenham Library, Beckenham, BR3 4PE

Contact: Stephen Wood  020 8313 4316

Items
No. Item

70.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Minutes:

Apologies were received from Dr John Parker.

 

Apologies were also received from Jackie Groundsell, Cllr Vanessa Allen, and Gail Low.

 

71.

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING HELD ON 30th JUNE 2016 pdf icon PDF 163 KB

Minutes:

It had been noted that Mr Nick Goy had suggested some amendments to the minutes of the meeting held on 30th June 2016. These had been accepted by the Committee Clerk and the Chairman.

 

Subject to these amendments, the minutes were agreed as a correct record.  

72.

MATTERS ARISING pdf icon PDF 126 KB

Minutes:

Members noted the Matters Arising report.

 

Members noted the comprehensive update that had been provided from Post Office Counters Ltd, concerning the move of the Post Office in Beckenham from its previous site to the new location inside WH Smith’s in the High Street. 

 

Opinion was divided concerning this. A member stated that he had no problems when visiting the new location, and got to the counter straight away. Another member expressed the view that the area was cluttered, and that Smith’s had not done anything to improve the shop. She made the comment that there were only two standard post office counters and a foreign exchange till.

 

The Chairman asked what the responses had been concerning the paving consultation. Stephen Oliver clarified that the favourite colour was brindle; Mr Goy expressed the view that the colours were similar, and were no improvement on the current provision. Tom McConnell (FM Conway) stated that the colour of the paving was the responsibility of the Council. Janice Pilgrim commented that she would prefer the use of bright tactile paving as much as possible to aid the blind and partially sighted. The colours of tactile paving were specified by government guidelines, with different colours being assigned for different types of crossing.  KAB would therefore only recommend those particular colours, in order to adhere to the guidelines and avoid confusion among sight impaired people. 

 

The Chairman stated that any matters relating to planting would be discussed under the separate agenda item of Trees, and that Martin Pinnell would provide a separate update later concerning the BID.

 

The Chairman and the Group expressed dismay at the proposal to locate the Purple Flag at Thornton’s Corner. Mr Pinnell advised the Chairman to make representations to the Portfolio Holder concerning this. The Group were unanimous that the Purple Flag should be sited in the vicinity of Beckenham Junction Train Stationwhich was where most of the night-time bars and clubs were located. Mr Pinnell requested that he be copied in to any email that resolved to change the location of the Purple Flag. 

 

RESOLVED that:

 

(1) The Chairman to make representations to the Portfolio Holder concerning the location of the Purple Flag

 

(2) The Group would prefer to see the Purple Flag located in the vicinity of Beckenham Junction Station

 

(3) Martin Pinnell to be copied in to any resolution pertaining to a change of location for the Purple Flag   

73.

MAJOR SCHEME UPDATE

Minutes:

The introduction to the Major Scheme update was provided by Mr Kevin Munnelly, and Stephen Oliver subsequently gave more detail around the plan drawings.

 

It was noted that a revised bid for funding had been re-submitted to TfL, and that the total value of the programme was now £4.4m. A report was going to the Renewal and Recreation PDS Committee on 20th September for scrutiny. This was to be followed by the report being presented to the Executive on 18th October for final decision. The full title of the report was ‘Beckenham Public Realm Improvements, Design and Budget Sign off’. Any notes or comments from the PDS Committee would be notified to the Executive. The Executive had been recommended to approve the design and the final funding arrangements. It was also recommended that FM Conway be commissioned to carry out the work.

 

It was hoped that orders for materials could be placed during September 2016, and that capital works could commence in January 2017. The work should take no longer than 15 months. The Chairman asked why the matter had not been referred to an earlier agenda. Mr Munnelly was hopeful that preliminary work could commence in December 2016. Preliminary works would consist of things like electrical cabling.

 

Nick Goy asked if a compensation scheme was in place to assist traders that may suffer financially as a result of the improvement works; he feared that some traders could go out of business. Mr Munnelly stated that LBB and FM Conway would seek to manage the situation so that disruption was minimised. He acknowledged the importance of proper communications, and in successfully managing relationships with businesses and traders. He felt that lessons had been learnt from the past, and it was a bonus that on this occasion no water pipes would require replacing.  No compensation scheme was in place as the project was for the ‘betterment’ of the area. It was the case that businesses could apply to the Valuation Office for a business rate reduction. It was clarified that the Valuation Office was part of the Inland Revenue, and not part of the Council.

 

Tina Slater clarified that there was an allowance in the budget for a Project Liaison role. It was anticipated that this would be the same person that had undertaken the role previously on the Bromley North project. Marsha Berg asked if signs could be provided indicating that business was being carried on as usual. FM Conway confirmed that targeted signage would be utilised where appropriate. Ms Berg also requested that works machinery be deployed in such a manner that access to business premises would not be blocked. The Chairman asked where FM Conway’s depot would be located. The location that had provisionally been identified was St George’s Road Car Park.

 

Chloe Jane Ross enquired what the project strategy would be. Would there be complete road closures so that the project could complete sooner, or would it be a longer project with partial road closures?  ...  view the full minutes text for item 73.

74.

Potential Trees for Major Scheme pdf icon PDF 779 KB

Minutes:

The Group studied the document that showed details of the various trees that were proposed for different areas of the Scheme. Mr Richard Straker asked who was going to look after the new trees. He expressed the view that from his own personal experience, maintenance agreements with contractors for trees were not working. A new tree would require regular watering for the first two years of its life. It was clarified that the contractor would have to replace any tree that died. It was noted that tree pit specifications had been agreed with the tree officer. 

75.

PARKING BAY UPDATE

Minutes:

The Parking Bay update was provided by Angus Culverwell. Mr Culverwell asked for clarification of the specific question that required answering. The Chairman stated that the reason that Mr Culverwell had been asked to attend was to provide clarification on where exactly the loading bays would be located on the Scheme. The Chairman felt that the current number of loading bays was inadequate, and that more were required to assist businesses. This was a sentiment echoed by Marsha Berg of the Beckenham Business Association. Mr Munnelly commented that loading bays had been factored in, and that issues had been addressed. Mr Culverwell stated that he was not convinced that more loading bays were required. Ms Berg responded that ‘Hammonds’ in Beckenham Road required a loading bay.

 

The Chairman asked that a map of proposed new loading bays be sent to the Beckenham Business Association. Mr Munnelly stated that there would be no net loss of parking.

 

RESOLVED that a map of the proposed new parking bays be sent to the Beckenham Business Association. 

76.

BID UPDATE

Minutes:

The BID update was provided by Martin Pinnell.

 

He informed the Group that a feasibility study had been undertaken into all aspects concerning the preparation for Beckenham to become a Business Improvement District (BID). It was explained that BIDS were business led organisations that would seek to bring in new investment and business into the local economy. BIDS had already been established in Orpington and Bromley. It was anticipated that the Beckenham BID levy that would be raised would be in the region of £145K. BIDS had been established in 200 locations nationwide.

 

Mr Pinnell explained that going forward it was planned that a Working Group be set up to develop the BID; it was anticipated that the first meeting would take place in a month’s time. 

77.

BECKENHAM SOCIETY REVIEW REPORT BASED ON DRAWINGS PROVIDED BY THE CONTRACTOR pdf icon PDF 179 KB

Minutes:

Members noted the Beckenham Society Review report.

 

The report had been written by the Beckenham Society to review the Beckenham High Street Improvement Proposals, based on the contractor’s drawings.

 

The report highlighted the following areas:

 

·  Carriageways and Traffic Flows

 

·  Footways

 

·  Pedestrian Safety

 

·  Highway Lighting

 

·  On Street Parking

 

·  Tree Planting

 

·  Kelsey Square

 

78.

TOWN TEAM UPDATE

Minutes:

Chloe Jane Ross stated that there was really nothing to report on this occasion other than that the Alleyway Project had been completed.  

79.

DAVID BOWIE MEMORIAL UPDATE

Minutes:

The David Bowie update was brought by Dan Pearce (local artist) and Chloe Jane Ross.

 

The Group heard that an excellent design was being prepared, which would be different, and would not focus on Bowie’s face. It would be an image of a younger Bowie living in Beckenham. The aim would be to give the impression of movement, and would reflect the themes that Bowie sang about in the ‘Life on Mars’ record. The mural would still be located on the side of Patricks Wine Bar.

 

The Chairman asked if ‘crowd funding’ would be sought, and Mr Pearce replied that this was possible. It was important to develop ‘PR’, and a website would need to be developed. Locals would be contacted for information, as would the Bowie Estate. The Group supported the project unanimously.

 

The Chairman mentioned that Section 106 monies may be available to assist with funding the project. 

80.

TERMS OF REFERENCE pdf icon PDF 249 KB

Minutes:

It was agreed that the Terms of Reference be discussed in depth at the next meeting, and so should be added as an agenda item for the next meeting. 

 

Members were invited to consider matters that could be incorporated into revised terms of reference, and to make suggestions concerning this at the next meeting.

 

RESOLVED that ‘Terms of Reference’ be added as an agenda item for the next meeting.

81.

OTHER BUSINESS

Minutes:

It was agreed that an item concerning ‘plaques’ be added to the next agenda.

82.

DATE OF NEXT MEETING

The date of the next meeting is to be confirmed.

Minutes:

The date of the next meeting was confirmed as 27th October 2016 at 7.30pm.

 

This would be held at the usual location which would be Beckenham Library.

 

Original Text: